Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"I felt it"


If you haven't seen Black Swan yet, go see it. I've seen it twice in four days which means another obsession has begun.  Tonight I saw it with Jose, it was the second time for us both, and then we drank milkshakes and ate french fries. We are perfect ballerinas.  I don't want to give too much of the plot away because the surprises are essential to the film, however it is a perfect portrayal of an artist losing herself in an attempt to find a character.  I will say "Spoiler alert" just in case you're really neurotic and don't want to know anything ahead of time.
The one issue I have with the film is that it's almost too obvious that the characters are simply living out Swan Lake in the real world.  The constant black/white of Nina and Lily are intriguing at first but become expected as they have more scenes together.  


The same goes for a majority of the clues in the film which is in fact a ballet within a ballet.  Nina desperately trying to master the character of the black swan while slipping into the dark side of her own person.  

Regardless of the light vs. dark, man vs. self archetypes of the film, I felt like the concept was original, albeit all too well-known for those who have worked in the performing arts.  Certainly Nina is an extreme, but haven't we all felt as if we had lost ourselves at one time or another? 

Enough movie chatter. I have been rocking a ballerina bun for the past few days.  
It's easy to do and my hair stays out of my face.  Enough said.  My hair is pretty short (little below my chin) so it's not a matter of length. I suggest you try it next time you are in a hurry or just want to channel some psychotic ballet energy.  I hopped out of the shower minutes before I had to leave for dinner so this is what I did.  


P.S. sorry there was such a lag between updates. Christmas has been a busy and stressful time.  
I will be updating more frequently now so keep reading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment